Pages

Monday, January 6, 2014

Perspective

It's been awhile since I blogged...I've been meaning to, but I just haven't.  I'd sit down at my computer & try to figure out what to type & my mind came up empty.

Actually, that's not entirely true.  I have a lot of things that have been on my mind, but they aren't positive.  To say that it's been a frustrating year is an understatement.  I've had things happen in my classroom that make me question whether I'm in the right profession.

I know it's totally cliche to say "I care too much", but at times I think I do, and that's just sad.  How is it possible to care too much about my students.

One thing I know is true about myself is that I am an eternal optimist, but my optimism has been dying a slow and painful death this year.  So I've decided to change my perspective.

When I get an angry email from a parent, instead of letting it keep me up at night, I'm going remember the numerous emails from parents thanking me for what I do for their child.

When a student refuses to do their work, instead of getting frustrated, I'm going to think about that student who worked so hard on his genius hour project that he spent 2 months learning how to play a song on the guitar, which he then performed in front of the class.

When I have a student (or 15) that don't do their homework, instead of letting it drive me bonkers, I'm going to remember the 40 students that did do their homework.

When I have a student talk back, instead of letting it get to me I'm going to remember the student who helped out their friend just because it was the right thing to do.

When I have a student that I just can't reach, I'm not going to give up, I'm going to smile, keep trying, and think about that student who I know I have touched, and who is comfortable enough to tell me when they're having issues at home.

It's all about perspective.




No comments:

Post a Comment