Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Absence makes the heart grow fonder

For the past two weeks our school has been administering the NWEA MAP test, which requires the use of all our computer labs.  That being said, I was unable to run our flipped math, and had to revert to the traditional method.  Reverting back to traditional was quite an eye opener for myself and my students.  I, personally, found it much more difficult to determine whether my kids were truly understanding the material.  I thought they got it, then they went home to do their homework & they clearly didn't get it.  I also found the lessons took much longer than I was now used to.

My students have also had a bit of a rude awakening.  While I have averaged around 5 students per class who weren't watching the videos during our flipped class.  The average of students not completing their homework more than doubled.  The number of students who were turning in work that showed misunderstandings was even higher than that.

I actually overheard a few grumbling about how they wish they could do videos again.  I figured it wouldn't have been very professional to say "I told you so", so I just smiled & said I was glad they enjoyed flipped math (kudos to me because I really wanted to scream it from the roof tops).  Next week we will be moving back to the flipped method, and I am seriously excited to get back into the swing of things!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting, you are discovering some excellent points about a flipped classroom. I appreciate your honest reflections.

    ReplyDelete